On 28 May 2016, we launched a Menstrual Hygiene Management program (MHM) in Ntungamo SW Uganda with a view to ensuring that women and girls manage their monthly period in a hygienic way. This involves ensuring that girls and women have access to information about menstruation as well as access to clean and safe menstrual absorbents.
As part of the access to information aspect of the program, our Program Manager and MHM Ambassadors visited 12 secondary schools within Ntungamo district SW Uganda over a course of 4 weeks. The team spoke with 1175 girls in all as well as some of their female teachers. Their findings are summarised below
- 53% of the girls didn’t know what menstruation was before they experienced it
- 61% of the girls have felt ashamed or embarrassed due to their periods
- 42% of the girls interviewed miss 2.6 days of school during their periods because they don’t have access to sanitary products which impacts negatively in their performance.
- Students change their sanitary products every 9 hours.
Our team looked into how girls in Ntungamo secondary schools manage their periods and how they access to menstrual hygiene absorbents, and these are their findings;
- 48% of the students feel bad or very bad during their MPs
- 73% of the students use reusable pads but on average they change them every 9 hours which is not hygienic or healthy
- 13% of the students use reusable sanitary pads at school and a cloth at home
- 9.1% of the students use a cloth
- 4.4% of the students use leaves, mattress stuffing, toilet paper or nothing at all.
These findings are challenging to say the least. We cannot allow this situation to persist as it has direct implications for poverty.
We want to offer these girls a hygienic and sustainable way to manage their periods. We also want to ensure that girls do not miss school days because of a lack of access to menstrual absorbents. We however cannot do this without your help and you can make a difference for as a little as £1.
- £1 provides a girl one pod that includes a napkin and a holder
- £5 provides a girl a full kit
- £10 provides two full kits
- £20 provides 4 full kits
The pod and kits last for three years making this a cost effective way of managing periods. Please donate to our Sanitary Pads 4 Girls program today via our Virgin Money page